ChordSet is a utility device which allows to program, store and play "one-finger" chords. Connect it to your favorite sound modules (synths, samplers, etc.) via the Note and Gate CV outputs, and play complex, luscious chords with a single key press.
When programming chords, the device offers total flexibility: just select a root note, and then use the shift knobs to start stacking additional notes. For each instance of ChordSet, you can program a total of 12 chords of up to 7 notes each.
Once you have several chords which form a nice progression, you can store them in a patch for later use. And thanks to the "Global Transpose" knob, it is easy to tune the entire chord set to the key of a new project.
In addition to the chord CV outs, the device also has separate outs for the root note and each shift note. This makes it possible to create advanced setups for harmonic and melodic experimentation.
The factory patches are sure to inspire with a collection of chords for different styles of music.
ChordSet is the fast, easy and fun way to create nice sounding chords and chord progressions in the rack!
New in version 1.5:
- copy and paste chords from one slot to another, reset chord slots to default values
- use built-in presets for the most common chord types to create chords faster
- change the voicing of an existing chord by using the variation engines, especially useful for inversions
- learn chords using input from a connected MIDI keyboard or from a MIDI clip in the sequencer
- humanize playing mode to make chords sound more natural
- strumming playing mode with 4 settings for different strumming styles
New in version 1.5.5:
- added random chord generator with the following options:
- Randomize slot (keep root): creates random chord notes for the selected slot but keeps the root note unchanged
- Randomize slot: creates a random chord for the selected slot
- Randomize slots (keep roots): creates random chord notes for all the slots but keeps the root notes unchanged
- Randomize slots: creates random chords for all the slots
- larger diplay now shows which chord slot is being triggered
Connections: just connect the chord Note and Gate CV outputs to the CV and Gate inputs of your favorite sound module to start playing chords across CV cables!
Programming chords: you can program a total of 12 chords for each instance of ChordSet. To program a chord, select a slot, then choose a root note and its octave. After that, you turn the "shift notes" knobs to stack additional notes. Each shift knob can add a note from -36 to +36 semitones away from the root.
Playing chords: each slot responds to a specific MIDI note. Slots 1 to 12 correspond to notes C2 to B2. So for example, if you wanted to play the chord programmed in slot 1, you would play the C2 note from your MIDI controller, Reason’s piano roll, or from a connected CV device. There is a switch on the front panel which selects whether the device can be triggered by MIDI key or by CV.
Transposing chords: there is a "Global Transpose" knob which can tune up or down the entire chord set by 24 semitones in each direction. The transposition can be controlled by CV in.
Additional CV outs: a "root" note CV outlet will output the root note of each played chord. The root out can be shifted down by 12 or 24 semitones. This is useful if you want to use the root note to create a bass line to go along with your progression. Additionally, there are CV note outs for each shift note in the chord. You could use these to create melodic lines on other instruments.
Sequencer Automation: each chord parameter can be automated in the sequencer for even more flexibility when programming chord progressions.
Remote Support: full remote support allows you to create chords from your midi controller in a very fast and fun way. Stop penciling in notes and start twisting some knobs!
Factory Patches: a collection of chords from different music styles like Pop, Jazz, and Deep House. Use these for inspiration and as starting point for your own chord sets.
Version 1.0.3 Update: various bug fixes
Version 1.5.1 Update: access the new features by Alt + Click in the slot indicator display. Find out more here.
Version 1.5.5 Update: added options for creating chords randomly