Too loud mixes often sound squashed, and in long mixing sessions your ears often get used to the squashed sound so you´re losing objectivity.
The Measure will show you Peak and RMS values of your mixes, phase correlation between Left and Right, the number of Overs and new measurement loudness mode 'R128'. When working with a stereo signal, choose Sum/Diff mode to make sure there is no energy drop in the sum which could be caused by phasing problems and that the difference (diff) is not too low compared to the sum.
To save space in your Reason rack, we duplicated the ‘R128 Mode’ indicators at the front folded panel.
There is a potential for ambiguity when assigning a level on the dBFS scale to a waveform rather than to a specific amplitude, since some choose the reference level so that RMS and peak measurements of a sine wave produce the same number, while others want the RMS and peak values of a square wave to be equal, as they are in typical analog measurements. Measure allows you to select RMS Reference Waveform Sine or Square.
• For the case in which the RMS value of a full-scale SQUARE wave is designated 0 dBFS, all possible dBFS measurements are negative numbers. A sine wave could not exist at a larger RMS value than −3 dBFS without clipping, by this convention. This is the convention used in Euphonix meters.
• For the case in which the RMS value of a full-scale SINE wave is designated 0 dBFS, a full-scale square wave would be at +3 dBFS. This is the definition specified in AES Standard AES17-1998 and IEC 61606 and used in Dorrough meters and meters with K-System guidelines.
New measurement mode 'R128' provides precision loudness measurement and metering for broadcast, movie trailers, games, packaged media and more. Fully compliant ITU-R BS.1770-2 and EBU R-128 specifications.
An ‘R128 Mode’ loudness meter as defined in EBU Tech Doc 3341 offers 3 distinct time scales:
• Momentary Loudness (abbreviated “M”) – time window: 400 ms
• Short-term Loudness (abbreviated “S”) – time window: 3 s
• Integrated Loudness (abbreviated “I”) – from ‘start’ to ‘stop’
-23: -23dBFS(LUFS for R128 mode)
K20: -20dBFS(LUFS for R128 mode)
-18: -18dBFS(LUFS for R128 mode)
K14: -14dBFS(LUFS for R128 mode)
K12: -12dBFS(LUFS for R128 mode)
As the phase correlation mode: the green LEDs is in phase, blue LEDs is out of phase.
Measure meter are able to detect and display the number of Overs, which are defined as 3 samples or more that exceed 0 dBFS (-0.0008 dBFS).
What is OVERS:
Includes the K-System:
• Reference scales mode
• Peak and RMS Level Relations
• Measurement loudness mode 'EBU R128'
• Sum and Difference Energies for Optimal Stereo-to-Mono Compatibility
• Left/Right Phase Correlation
• Displays Number of Overs
• Adjustable PPM integration and return times
• Selectable RMS Reference Waveform
• Adjustable RMS rise and fall times
• 40dB Scale in 1 dB steps
New in 2.0.0:
- reduced the size of the device with up 3U to 2U.
- added adjustable reference scales modes
- added measurement mode 'R128'
- added adjustable PPM integration and return times
- added adjustable RMS rise and fall times
- updated digital displays on the front folded panel
New in 1.2.2:
- Duplicated knob "RMS Averaging Time" on the back folded panel
- other small fixes and optimization
New in 1.0.2:
- updated digital displays on the folded front panel
- added a button reset for max peak on the folded front panel
- cosmetic improvements
New in 1.0.1:
- updated LEDs
- added marking Reference Level (for Sine RMS reference waveform only!)
20dB AES / K(atz)-20 / SMTPE